Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Sometimes, You Just Gotta Say...

In a few hours, we will begin our first meeting with one of our kids' parochial Catholic schools. At this meeting, we will be sitting across a table and discussing our child's future at the school. A priest and a lay male principal. You bet, I'm nervous. But, I am empowered.

My counselor has advised us to go in with the attitude of "I/We are going to transition over this summer. This fall, when I want to drop our child off on the first day of school... will our child be welcome back?" And that is the attitude we will go in with. My wife and I have prepared a lot for this first meeting and a second one at our other child's Catholic school two hours afterward. We both have looked for and read any official (or semi-official) Catholic Church doctrine/teachings about transgendered people. We even read the Archbishop of San Francisco's vile comments about Caitlyn Jenner (though not by name) and people like me and many of you.

I will walk into the wind today and hope my presence and my outward joy in who I am will serve me and my children well. We may change some minds and hearts or we may not not, but by at least asking both Catholic institutions a serious question, "Will my child be welcome?"  - we make it easier for the next transperson.

As my lovely, amazing, supportive wife says often to me regarding showing the world the real ME:




I'm making my move and this girl ain't going backward!

Karin

3 comments:

  1. Hi Karin,

    I wish you the best.

    I was brought up in a very strict, old world, Catholic family. That is probably what kept me from transitioning very early in life. Later, with marriage and children, I have yet to do it.

    You have probably seen this, but we have a Catholic trans blog listed on the right side of the T-Central page, under Religious Blogs.

    I may feature this post on T-Central, with your permission.

    Calie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Calie,

    That sounds great to me. It would be an honor. I hope you have to opportunity to transition one day.

    Thank you,

    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope it goes well.
    I'm don't know about the attitude of Catholics schools to transgender parents.
    When we went into my son's school they were supportive and wanted to do what they could. We told them that I'd come to events at the school as Dad.
    The biggest worry everyone had was bullying, and what might happen if other children found out. The school's attitude was that they would stamp on any bullying.
    We also discussed the fact that some of the children at the school would know as we knew their families and they would be aware of my transition. When we told them the particular youngsters who would know they said that all of them were good kids and would stand up for my son if anyone started on him.
    Now he's left school we don't worry, college has been different and when I've needed to go to parents evenings and such I've gone as me and we've not worried about it.

    ReplyDelete